Latino Community Fund of Washington State (LCF) Job Postings
Title: Finance Director
Salary: $60,000 - $65,000 Depending on Experience
Full Time, Salaried / FLSA Exempt, Medical, dental, vision, two weeks annual paid vacation, sick leave
Earliest Starting Date: July 1, 2020
Reports To: Executive Director
Work Schedule: Normally works 9:00am to 6:00pm Monday through Friday
Do you have a head for finance and a heart for the Latino Community? Do you hunger to use your financial skill to lift up the ideas and talent of Latinos? This unique opportunity to lead the organization financially and support burgeoning Latino groups across the state of Washington may be for you.
Latino Community Fund is seeking a mission-oriented, strategic leader with strong experience managing finance and operations to join our leadership team as our Finance Director. The Finance Director will play an integral role in building out LCF’s financial procedures, managing our finance and capacity building department, and ensuring accurate and efficient financial and nonprofit accounting practices. This position will be responsible for overseeing financial management, accounting, planning and budgeting, external audit/review preparation, human resources administration, and capacity building with our fiscally sponsored groups. The Finance Director will serve as a key member of the leadership team (with room for learning and growth as well) responsible for strategic decision-making to help the organization during this time of significant growth and to better serve its mission across WA State. This role is based at our headquarters in Seattle, WA, with potential for some light travel to our Yakima office. The Finance Director will report directly to the Executive Director (ED) and manage the Finance and Grants Support Specialist, as well as contracted Accountant.
About Latino Community Fund of Washington State (LCF)
The Latino Community Fund of Washington State (LCF) cultivates new leaders, supports cultural and community based non-profit organizations, and improves the quality of life for all Washingtonians. LCF is a creative, vibrant, and flexible place to work. We offer the unique benefit of being able to see your work have tangible positive impact in the Latino community.
Our work is rooted in community, centered on community leadership, and expanding to include a larger Latino community across Washington State. The organization has grown over the past 12 years, with team members now based in Seattle, Burien, Yakima, Wenatchee, Bellingham, and Tri-Cities. Our team collaborates across WA State to provide access to health and economic resources, invest in local leaders, and build our collective power. LCF has a $3 million operating budget, inclusive of 10 fiscally sponsored groups. LCF’s team includes a team of 14 across WA State and is governed by a Board of Directors with 9 members. At LCF, we work through a variety of programs in the community, and as such, we provide an open work environment where you have the opportunity to learn about a variety of issues in our community. Opportunities to make innovative impact in our community is constantly growing and deepening with the leadership of our staff of organizers, youth, and community leaders who are at the heart of this critical movement.
Primary Responsibilities and Essential Job Functions
As the Finance Director, you will be a key leader of the executive team, leading the management of financial procedures. Areas of work include:
Financial Management (50%):
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements, and oversee all financial, project/program and grant accounting.
- Lead annual budgeting and planning process with the ED, working with staff teams to ensure a fully participatory process. Administer and review all financial plans and budgets and monitor progress.
- Support the ED and board to develop both annual and long-term financial plans that align with strategic goals.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Develop and implement fiscal management practices and internal controls, ensuring that LCF upholds its fiduciary and organizational responsibilities. Manage the finance department’s policy and procedure manual.
- Participate as the staff liaison with the Board of Director’s Finance and Audit committee, and other finance related ad hoc working groups.
- Work with Development staff to reconcile fund development records and financial records, and prepare financial statements as needed for grants, committees, and other tracking.
- Create and maintain internal tracking systems.
Accounting (LCF contracts with an independent accountant. This role will include working with this person to) (20%):
- Manage payroll, accounts payable and accounts receivable.
- Manage accounting systems, including maintaining records to facilitate monthly and quarterly reporting and budget tracking, financial tracking of restricted grants, invoicing, payroll management.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors; assess any changes necessary.
- Work with teams to track grant expenses.
Human Resources Administration (10%):
- Work with the ED to ensure employee manual, policies, and procedures are regularly updated and utilized by staff.
- Support Executive team with administrative aspects of HR functions, including: hiring; compensation and benefits administration and oversight; new employee orientation, and employee retention strategies.
- Maintain personnel files and employment, payroll, performance review, and leave records.
- Implement a robust contracts management and financial management / reporting system.
- Manage facility and equipment leases and all contracts with vendors and consultants, including payroll.
Governance and Risk Management (10%):
- Ensure organizational and individual compliance with local, state, and federal law.
- Monitor and evaluate all organizational insurance policies (legal, real property, general liability, directors and officers liability, etc.).
- Provide information and recommendations to ED and board as needed; and attend general board meeting and Finance and Audit committee meetings when requested by the ED or board
Fiscal Sponsorship (10%):
- Work with Finance and Grants Specialist to provide timely and accurate financial reports for fiscally sponsored groups.
- Work with capacity building team to implement a fiscal sponsorship program.
This work will be done in the office using a computer and phone. You will also have an opportunity to connect with community members and partner organizations across Washington State. There will also be opportunities for learning through professional development, mentorship, and additional partnerships with other funders, nonprofits, and community leaders.
Skills and Experience
Latino Community Fund is excited to bring on a key executive leader who believes in our mission and has experience developing and managing strong finance and operational systems. We are seeking a collaborative team member who can work with our team and partners to create sustainable and effective financial practices that reflect our values of resource sharing, building power, and learning. LCF is committed to building an inclusive environment through all levels of the organization.
- At least 3-5 years of financial management experience in non-profit, foundation, or corporate context, and/or education equivalent (BA in Finance).
- Proven track record in organizational budgeting and financial management.
- Experience with and understanding of nonprofit accounting, grant tracking, payroll management, human resources, and general business systems and functions. Strong financial analysis skills.
- Demonstrated success in developing and monitoring financial systems.
- Ability and desire to think strategically on building out financial policies and procedures that reflect organizational vision, goals, and objectives.
- Collaborative approach to work, with a commitment to developing and educating staff on financial practices.
- Self-motivated, energetic, flexible, and collaborative, and a strong interest in social justice issues.
- Proven track record in developing and managing operational systems; strong project management skills.
- Experience in effectively managing and supervising staff.
- Exceptional attention to detail and desire to learn and improve.
- Strong organizational skills and independence, requiring minimal supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and written skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and/or Google Apps.
- Experience working in a collaborative environment with diverse groups.
- Passion to learn about and support the LCF Vision, Mission, and Core Values.
- High ethical standards of confidentiality, strong people skills, an upbeat attitude & an ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
- Experience in working with grants contracts (strongly preferred).
- Experience with QuickBooks and/or QuickBooks Online.
- 2 Years of Customer Service Experience.
- Spanish-language skills (preferred).
The Latino Community Fund of Washington is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or veteran status. LCF is an At-Will Employer under Washington State law.
How to Apply
Latino Community Fund will accept applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled with a priority deadline of August 1. We will begin interviews on a rolling basis. Please email 3 items: 1) Resume; 2) a minimum of 3 References (including a supervisor, someone you supervised or collaborated with, and someone you collaborated/worked with); 3) Application answering the following questions: Why you are applying to this job, describe what if any are the unique challenges and opportunities you see in leading financial capacity for a statewide grassroots organizations, what is your experience leading collaborative efforts. Email all materials to: Lilliane Ballesteros (email@example.com), Executive Director with subject: Finance Director